Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Ring didn't Mean a Thing... Or did It?


This month I really wanted to focus on things surrounding love and as you see with my previous post, I get a little side tracked so to speak. But I just let-HIM-use-me, LoL!!!. When I first moved to Virginia most of the European people I knew wore these rings. They had two hands holding a heart, very different, yet cute. Even a gay manager of mine wore his with pride and eventually told me the meaning. The ring that I'm speaking of is a Claddagh ring and below you can read exactly what it means (taken from Wikipedia).
The Claddagh's distinctive design features two hands clasping a heart, and usually surmounted by a crown. The elements of this symbol are often said to correspond to the qualities oflove (the heart), friendship (the hands), and loyalty (the crown).
Claddagh rings may be used as friendship, relationship, eternity, engagement, or wedding rings depending on the intention of wearer and, in the case of a gift, of the giver. There are three traditionally accepted ways of wearing the ring which may signal someone's relationship status:[1]
1. When worn on the right ring finger with the heart pointing to the fingertip, the wearer is free of any attachment.
2. On the same finger with the ring turned around, it suggests someone is romantically involved.
3. When the ring is on the left hand wedding ring finger it means the person is married or engaged


When I saw the ring in Avon for $19.99 I knew that meant it was time to buy. Plus another kool point is that the ring is sterling silver. Unfortunately the ring was on sale 2 weeks ago and once I got mine the new book shows the price higher. Let me know if I put you on to that new new or if its a style that you're currently rocking!!!

4 comments:

DOUBLE_D said...

You put me on. I gotta have it!!

Why Not Kristin said...

Thanks for reading chic!!! Glad that you like the ring. I just wish my fingers weren't sooo small, the 5 is way too big for my ring finger (on both hands).

Jocelyn said...

I definitely love this meaning behind this ring! I must have it!! Thanks for sharing!

Alex Quinn 82 said...

Thanks for explaining about the great claddagh ring! Owning a piece of celtic jewelry is elegant, unique, and classic. When purchasing celtic jewelery it is important that your piece is authentic, whether it be claddagh rings or wedding rings. Each piece has its own meaning and symbolism that originates from Ireland, which is why it is a great to have in anyone's jewelry collection.